Skip to main content

Anet A8 extruder modification with magnets and 40 mm to 80 mm fan adapter

I  recently bought my first 3D printer. It is Anet A8 - I think one of the cheapest 3D printers in the market.
It is a great device, especialy if you are a tech guy who is not afraid of putting things together :)

I found out, that there are many additional enhancement to this printer available. I've printed some of those, they work really well, but what I found very annoying in this printer, that it is very loud.
I've changed all linear bearings and it helped a lot, but still an extruder fan was very noisy.
I've seen some articles about replacing that fan with another, more quiet 40 mm one. Unfortunatelly,  those better ones fans are quite expensive. I decided I will try to replace 40 mm fan with quiet 80mm one, which in my case was cheaper and easily available.

So, in this post I will show you my solution. It is first version, many things still need improvements, please treat it as a Proof of Concept  - but it works :)

The first idea was to simply make some adapter, which will  allow to unscrew old fan and replace it with a new bigger (and ofcourse more quiet) one  in its place for on the radiator. But meanwhile, I had some trouble with filament changing and got very annoyed that I had to unassemble the extruder totally to replace the filament. So I changed my plans, I decided to remove the radiator and use some small neodymium magnets I already had at home, to make access to the extruder much easier.

I never made any 3D project before, so at the begining, I had a lot of problems with choosing a CAD software to made a project. I tried Free CAD, but i'm my case it was very unstable. Then I switched to Sketchup, but since I'm a linux guy, I had to use it in a virtual machine, and  models I made were not sliced in Cura properly. They looked good in Sketchup, but after printing, connections between elements were not solid enough and very delicate. It was probably my fault, but I had no patience for finding solution, so I moved to TinkerCad - web tool, which  appeared to be simple enough to learn it in one evening and powerfull enough to make required project.
After few hours of designing, I finished with a shape like this:




Next step was to slice it and print it. Since it is a proof of concept and I didn't know if it will work at all, I decided to print it in low quality with 0.3 mm layer.


It took almost 3h to print,  some supports fell off durring printing and I was affraid if the print will be fnished properly, but at the end it was quite ok:





After removing supports, adapter was ready to assemble. Unfortunatelly it turned out that the holes in 40 mm side  were too small to fit my magnets. I probably didn't measure it properly, so I needed to expand them with a dremmel tool. Then I put magnets and used some super glue to keep them in place. Unfortunatelly, one corner broke, but glue helped a little and as I wrote before it's only prototype, so it's not a huge problem :)


After placing all magnets I was ready to screw new 80 mm fan:

At this point I was ready to remove old fan from the extruder, and put the replacement in its' place. In this moment I got supprised a lot... The extruder appered to be made of non magnetic metal... So magnets didn't work :)
But if I went so far, I couldn't quit,  hado Id to think something out.
I unassembled the extruder and noticed that  there are unused holes I can use to screw some metal part to it.

I found some metal part at workshop which might be usefull :)


After shortening it a little, it fit quite well. So there was a solution for upper part. For lower part I prepared small metal badge with holes, and screw it all together with the extruder.
So the final solution looks like this:

It doesn't look proffesional, but works well as a temporary solution. I'll have to think something more elegant in the future. Now I was able to connect a fan with magnets:


I was a little affraid if the adapter will not be catching z-axis rodes, but fortunatelly it fits (with no margin left, but still :) ). The only thing left to do was to make an electric connection.  I cut off old fan, soldered new wires with pins, and made a connection to original fan plug.


And here you have additional photos of final result:



And my conclusions....
The look is... strange :) Fan is huge comparing to extruder size, but it is VERY QUIET. So the goal of thetproject is definitely achieved. I will probably leave it as is, maybe I'll print an adapter one more time with better quality, and I'll have to find some more elegant way to connect magnets to extruder. The solution I made doesn't look pretty,  but I love the possibility to replace filament easily.

The 3D project itself still needs some improvements, its' connections aren't smooth enough, magnet holes are to small, but as you can see it is usable. I put it on thingverse, so feel free to download an stl, and try it yourself :)
Here is the link
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2812136

Feel free to comment, but remember it is only a prototype and it works for me :)


Comments

  1. This is just what i was looking for. Thankyou Sir!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm mine hits the threaded rod on the left while homing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do You use magnets? In my case the gap is minimal, but it fits when I move it a little bit higer on magnets

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Control OpenHab using Telegram Messenger

Recently, I've been trying to discover a way to control my OpenHab instance using Google Assistant. It is rather easy to do this using  IFTTT , but only when You use OpenHab in a cloud. I prefer using private instalation of OpenHab in my LAN, so that was not an option for me. I was searching for another solution, but only app supported by IFTTT which might be usefull form me was Telegram messenger. The only problem is, that OpenHab does not support Telegram controling by default. I google'd a little and it turned out that Telegram has a great public API with good Java support, so I decided to write a simple Spring Boot application as a bridge between Telegram Bot and OpenHab instance. You can find source code of my application on my GitHub account: https://github.com/aogorek/openhabtelegrambot In order to run it there are few steps required: 1. Create Bot in Telegram Messenger First You have to create Your own bot to communicate with. You need to contact @BotFather

Angular 5, SpringBoot 2, Oauth2 and IMPLICIT flow - silent token refresh

Recently I've been working on simple web application for managing students and users. Application will be published on the internet, so it needs proper access control. I wanted to learn some new stuff, so I decided to use Angular5 with Oauth2 authentication. I didn't want to use any options as "Login with Facebook", or "Login with Google". I wanted my Spring Boot app to work as the authentication server and the resource server. I read a little abouth Oauth2 and different flows possible, and it turns out, that preffered flow to use with web application is IMPLICIT flow. Implicit flow uses only one token. It doesn't have a refresh token, as it could be overtaken by an attacker. Access token has defined validity period. In other flows, where refresh token exists it is used to get another access token when the first one expires. In theory in implicit flow user should just log again, but forcing a user to log in during active session is not an option.

Raspberry PI and additional GPIO pins on several mcp23017 chips and a transistor switch

Some time ago I came to the conclusion that the home automation control system I made before was too complicated. I've been using a Raspberry PI + arduino + ethernet shield + additional connector board.  Arduino together with ethernet shield sometimes causes problems, especially after power outages. It has problems with restarting and requires manual restart. So this was the element I wanted to get rid of. It seems that the raspberry PI itself should definitely be enough. The only limitation is the number of GPIO pins and current efficiency. To avoid that problem I have already started designing the PCB which, when connected to raspberry, will provide us with additional pins and the ability use more power consumng devices. The easiest way to gain additional pins is to use the mcp23017 chip. It uses I2C bus to connect to the raspberry PI. Each chip will provide us with 16 additional pins. The chips can be connected together in chain, so you can have even more pins. I calculated t